- Century Club
- Contact Us
The Bank's Story
HISTORY OF THE STATE NATIONAL BANK AND TRUST COMPANY
In 1881, Henry Ley, Sr. and his family moved from, Jordan, Minnesota to Wayne, Nebraska where he opened a general store, which he named The German Store, housed in a two-story brick building on the northeast corner of Third and Main Streets.
In 1892, Henry applied for a bank charter. The charter was approved for The State Bank of Wayne. The bank opened for business on the southwest corner of Second and Main Streets and operated at the same location until January 2, 1986, when the bank building was completely destroyed by fire. Although the fire had a devastation effect on the physical premises of the bank, the event created a strong employee and community bond. The morning after the 1:00 am fire found business “almost as usual” at the drive-in facility which was constructed in 1974. In November of 2006 the bank moved back into a facility at the Second and Main location, designed by architect Roy Ley, great-great-grandson of Henry Ley, Sr.
In 1929, Rollie W. Ley, the son of Henry Ley and President of the bank at that time, applied to the Comptroller of the Currency for a National charter. The application was approved and The State Bank was converted into The State National Bank on January 6, 1930.
In 1967, Henry E. Ley, the son of Rollie Ley, the grandson of Henry Ley, Sr. and President of the bank at that time, applied for Trust Powers which were granted on December 29, 1967. The name was then changed to its present name The State National Bank and Trust Company.
In 1970, David Ley, the great grandson of Henry Ley, joined the bank making it a fourth generation bank. He continues to be the Chairman of the Board at this time.
In 2010, Matthew Ley, the great-great-grandson of Henry Ley, joined the bank as its CEO, making it a fifth-generation bank.
This bank has always been a believer in public service and during the years its leaders have devoted much time to this purpose including:
Henry Ley - State Legislator- 1889
Rollie W. Ley - State Guarantee Fund Commissioner from 1923-1928
Henry E. Ley - State Director of Banking from 1964-1967 and 1971-1974
The bank has been supported during its history either in its active operation or on its Board of Directors by such pioneers as Robert Skiles, John F. Sherban, C.A. Chance, J. W. Fox, Fred Berry, Governor Val Peterson, Kenneth Olds, and Herman Lundberg.
The bank has grown and prospered under these managements and associates. From this small beginning, it has grown since 1893 to an asset valuation of over 135 million dollars.
Financial institutions build their operation on various principals, some tending toward service, some profit, some proliferation and some toward multi-state diversification. Our approach is simple. Our labor builds on the bank and its employees, and the citizens of Wayne and the surrounding territory. A simple formula for the benefit of all concerned is always the best. This has been our history and will be our future!
Click on any of the following links for additional information!
►"Special" CD Rates - It's been a long time since interest rates have gone UP!
► Current Interest Rates! Certificates of Deposit, Checking, Savings, Retirement Accounts (Page 2)